Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Taking out-of-date to chic


Hi! Candy here to show you how easy it is to re-purpose old, out-of-style items in to chic home decor.

This candle holder, from Home Interiors, looked like this ... dated and boring. It is made to either sit on a table or hang on the wall. I like it because it has a nautical feel, but the brass was so old-fashioned ...



So, I decided to cover it with Globecraft & Piccolo Embossing Powders

Supplies: 
First, I took the pieces apart, sanded the wood section, painted it and then let it dry. Once dry, I sanded it a bit more and then dabbed on a bit of brown ink until I got the look of weathered wood.

Then, I turned my attention to the metal pieces. It took some time to cover all of the metal areas. Some sections heated quickly and got so hot they burned my fingers. (Tweezers come in handy here ...) Other parts took forever to heat. I worked in small sections applying embossing powder adhesive and embossing powder in Vintage Silver until it was almost all the way covered.

Then I decided I wanted a little more depth to the color than just Vintage Silver. So I went in randomly and added Siam Silver. It is the powder that is more blue in the photo below.


I love the final patina of the two powders mixed together.


Once finished, I coated the entire piece in Glastique to seal and protect it. I used the Matte version because I didn't want to add any shine.


I transformed a little dragonfly candle holder, as well. Click on to my blog to see how it turned out.




4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Very cool! I love the aged look you gave both the pieces.

linda-neff.com said...

That wall sconce turned out so beautiful. Love the aged patina you were able to create on it.

Mae Lewis said...

Oh my goodness! This is AHMAZING!!!

apieceoflifespie.com said...

Oh my Candy! You did an amazing job and yes, you took this to chic!